February 18, 2011

Week's end

I know I'm kind of late on the Valentine's day tip, but hopefully y'all were too preoccupied on Valentine's day anyway to check out the variety of mixtapes that some of our blog buds put out in the name of love. Unholy Rhythms and Cactus Mouth tag-teamed on this mixtape and I mean let me tell ya it's stimulating and gratifying. Yvynyl also composed a mix that's like a it's-our-first-valentine's-day-together-card that says, you know, Let's keep it quality and casual. My favorite mix, though, is from Digital Outhouse; it's a mix of some kind of dated but probably classic smooth dance-y electronic music--I mean I'm just a sucker for that sort of thing--and Daft Punk is on there.
But in any case, listening to these mixtapes has introduced me (& thanks again blog buds) to these interesting acts:

Sutja Gutierrez is a dude from Spain who is also in the Fruhstucks who are also pretty cool but Sutja's songs are a little more toned down and rawer and kind of poppier or something--catchier, and like you can tell it's just one talented guy making music. His website is impressive and all his stuff is available for download there. He released a song especially for Valentine's day called "I Can See the Devil (Valentine's Day)" which he described as a song for the devil which I mean hell yeah but there's another song called "Lucy (Love Scene)" that was on that yvynyl mix (and also on this Matinee as Hell mix which is, by now predictably enough, solid) that I like better:


Moths makes beautifully smart beats and is from celtic old County Kildare, Ireland. It's cheerful and original music, with real subtle, lo-fi hints at dubbier stuff, I'd say. Fun and enjoyable to listen to. He collaborated with Synesthesiae Films to make this really kind of breathtaking video, for the track "<3"

"<3"> - Moths

And check out Moth's bandcamp too.

And here's an extra mp3 of the Cold Crush Brothers, pictured at the top of the post, talkin' about, Y'all it's the motherfucking weekend. Have a good one.

"Weekend" - Cold Crush Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment